MSTP Student Council
The UW MSTP Student Council was formed to improve students’ experiences throughout all phases of medical and graduate training. Building on the many informal communication channels we enjoy as students, the Student Council provides an organized venue to develop new programs and advocate for changes to educational programming.
The priorities of the council are:
- Improving community and vertical mentorship amongst MSTP students,
- Facilitating meaningful communication between students and the MSTP directors, and
- Advocating for programmatic changes at the graduate school and medical school levels.
The council is currently composed of one or two members from each MSTP class serving as a representative for their cohort. We meet once every two months and these meetings are open to the entire student body. The meeting minutes are distributed after the meeting to all students. Proposals and ideas are then shared regularly with the MSTP administration and directors for review and approval. The summary of each year’s projects is presented at the annual program retreat.
Current MSTP Student Council Members:
- Alexander Salter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Maria Nelson (email@example.com)
- David Caldwell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ryan Carlson (email@example.com)
- Amanda Haack (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bingjie Wang (email@example.com)
- David Bacsik (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sophie Blackburn (email@example.com)
- Rechel Geiger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Recent Student Council Projects
- Big Doc-Little Doc vertical mentorship program
- MSTP-specific clerkship schedule option
- ‘Return to Clerkship’ Review Sessions
- Generation of a Student-to-Student Handbook, full of academic (e.g. common grants) and life (e.g. Seattle Pro Tips!) advice
- MSTP Finances 101 Class
- Quarterly Happy Hours